Saturday, May 24, 2008

Usher "Here I Stand" Album Review


I remember back when James Brown died. Right around that time Usher announced he was coming out with an album fall '07. He said something along the lines that his album would be more monumental due to the fact that there were only a few R&B singers left. Well, for the most part, I think it was a hit and a miss.

1. "Intro" - I actually have a problem with this intro. If he put just a little more work into it, it could have been made into a really good song. It was even produced by JLack [Usher's little brother].

2. "Love in this Club" ft. Young Jeezy

3. "This Ain't Sex" - Ok, I can see the James Brown influence on this one. This is a good dance track; something your mom could get down with.

4. "Trading Places" - When I first heard this one, I really thought he was singing to a man [hes not lol].

5. "Moving Mountains" - aka "Let it Burn pt. 2" the next single lol. This is one of the stronger tracks on the album. The video isn't suppose to premier until next week, but it hit the web a few days ago. Enjoy

6. "Whats Your Name" ft. will.I.am - This one is alright. Its another 80's track. I like the break down though.

7. "Prayer for You" [Interlude]

8. "Something Special" - Please pass the mic!

9. "Love You Gently" - A good slow jam with lyrics that mention Al Greene, Sade, and Marvin Gaye. Its a little cliche, but its Ok.

10. "Best Thing" ft. Jay Z - Sounds like something right off of 8701. Jay's verse was even kinda lame.

11. "Before I Met You" - A B.Cox joint!

12. "His Mistakes" - Ne Yo co produced this one with Stargate. Again, its alright. Its definitely a Ne Yo track though. Sounds like an old Brian McKnight type song.


13. "Appetite" - "They call me U-s-h-e-r-R-a-y-m-o-n-d", yes, this dude wants to rap again...

14. "Whats a Man to Do" - Another R&B song about a dude "Caught Up" with two different women.

15. "Lifetime" - Finally a Jlack track! I thought this dude was going to do the majority of the album. All Ush threw him was the intro and one song???! Even though this one sounds like "Confessions pt. 22", its still one of the album highlights.

16. "Love in this Club pt. 2" ft. Beyonce & Lil Wayne

17. "Here I Stand"

18. "Will Work for Love" [Hidden track] - There is a really long pause after "Here I Stand"; it should have just stopped....

Overall, I'm having a lukewarm response to this album. Not to bash Usher, but I really think that after a four year hiatus he really could have came harder on this album. I think music listeners will agree. I really cant predict how this album will sell, but we all know that the industry ain't what it used to be. We shall see. Usher "Here I Stand" in stores this Tuesday, May 27.

0 comments:

Playboy 120x60 logo Napster, LLC Sirius Satellite Radio Inc.