Saturday, May 31, 2008

The Carter III Album Review

Before I get into this, I would like to remind you all that I am not a real big Wayne fan [please refer to my first post ever]. So, with that said, don't get upset if I don't tell you what you want to hear.

1. "3 Peat" [Prod. by Cool & Dre] - Nothing special. He could have shortened it down to an intro.

2. "Mr. Carter" [Ft. Jay Z] [Prod. by Just Blaze] - This is the first time I realized that Jay and Wayne have the same last name lol. This one has a nice beat, clearly done by someone affiliated with the Roc Boys. Just average.

3. "A Milli" [Prod. by Bangladesh] - This one got leaked a wile back. In fact, its already on the Billboard Hot 100. "I'd rather be pushing flowers than in the Pen. sharing showers." I knew I heard this one before.

4. "Got Money" [Ft. T-Pain] [Prod. by Play-n-skillz] - Average southern hip hop.

5. "Comfortable" [Ft. Babyface] [Prod. by Kanye West] - A stand out track. Could possible be a response to Beyonce's Irreplaceable. "To the left, to the left. If you wanna leave be my guest. You can step." A nice track by Mr. West. This actually doesn't sound like a sample.

6. "Phone Home" [Prod. by David Banner] - I'm very surprised by David Banner. This track is crazy! "We are not the same, I am a martian."

7. "Dr. Carter" [Prod. by Swizz Beatz] - This one is kinda soft and jazzy. I do love the metaphor of Wayne be a doctor trying to revive a wack rapper lol. Great lyricism.

8. "Tie My Hands" [Ft. Robin Thicke] [Prod. by Kanye West] - A little country and soulful. It is good to hear from Mr. Thicke again.

9. "Shoot Me Down" [Prod. by Kanye West] - Hands down my favorite! Thank you Mr. West!

10. "Playin With Fire" [Prod. by Streetrunner] - "I get better with time, like a watch. Osh gosh begosh! Posh Spice's husband can't kick it like I kick it. Bitch! I kick it!"

11. "Lollipop" [Ft. Static Major] [Prod. by Jim Jonsin & Deezle]

12. "La La" [Ft. Busta Rhymes & Brisco] [Prod. by David Banner] - This isn't the same "La La" that got leaked last year.

13. "Nothin On Me" [Ft. Juelz Santana & Fabolous] [Prod. by Alchemist] - Doesn't really get good until 3:01 when a new beat drops and so does Wayne.

14. "Let the Beat Build" [Prod. by Kanye West and Deezle] - Around 4:01 Wayne lets loose and kills it!

15. "Mrs. Officer" [Ft. Bobby Valentino] [ Prod. by Wyclef Jean] - A nice addition to the album.

16. "Misunderstood" [Prod. by ????] - All I got to say about this one is that Wayne completely MURDERED someone [ a non-rapper] at the end! I can't wait for the album to drop just so I can see what kind of controversy this one is going to cause. Trust, there will be controversy!

Over all, the album is pretty good. I don't see the reason for all the hype [never do], but it does stand out from typical southern hip hop. It is one of the few I can sit through without skipping around too much. Look for The Carter III, in stores June 10, 2008.

0 comments:

Playboy 120x60 logo Napster, LLC Sirius Satellite Radio Inc.